Following the trend to switch from commercial software to freeware or open source equivalents, many companies consider migrating their SQL Server databases to MySQL server. For this purpose, software developers offer some dedicated tools knows as “database converter”. Database converter automates migrating of entire database or individual table carefully processing data, schemas, indexes and other related objects.
So, what are the main requirements for such software products? It is expected that advanced SQL Server to MySQL converter support all modern versions of SQL Server such as 2016, 2017, 2019, Azure SQL and work with Unix, Linux and Windows MySQL servers including such variations as MariaDB and Percona. Extra advantage of database converter is option to export MS SQL data into MySQL script file for those cases when MySQL server does not accept remote connections. In this approach the source data is exported into local file containing data definition (DDL) statements to create tables with all indexes and constraints and fill it with the data. Then the person responsible for database migration will be able to import this file to MySQL server using the standard tools like phpMyAdmin.
Also, SQL Server to MySQL migration tool should provide these features:
- Support for Microsoft Windows 7/8/10, Server 2016/2019
- All MS SQL data types are supported
- Accurate conversion of primary keys, indexes and constraints with all necessary attributes
- Intelligent data transformation according to MySQL format
- Data integrity verification in the destination database
- Option to overwrite, merge or synchronize MS SQL data into an existing MySQL table
- SQL Server views are converted into MySQL format with respect to differences in SQL dialects of these two DBMS
- Unicode support
The price of SQL Server to MySQL database converters is ranged from zero to multiple hundreds of US dollars. It is not recommended to use free converters because such tools usually come without any technical support and guarantees of conversion quality. Independent market analysis shows that best performance-price proportion is reached by database migration tools having price around $50.
One of such tools is SQL Server to MySQL converter by Intelligent Converters, provider of software solutions for database conversion, migration and synchronization since 2001. Having all capabilities specified above, the tool also provides some extra advantages:
- Command line support allows to script and schedule the conversion procedure, set up a batch process on timer or run as a part of Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services script
- Sometimes it is required to convert partial data from a table or merge data from multiple tables into a single one. For these purposes SQL Server to MySQL converter allows to convert result of SELECT queries running against the source SQL Server database.
- Sometimes it is required to modify column name or type during the conversion. For this purpose, the converter provides feature called “custom column mapping” that allows changing name, type, NULL-attribute and default value for any column of MS SQL table as well as exclude certain columns from conversion.
Find more information about Intelligent Converters and SQL Server to MySQL conversion tool at https://www.convert-in.com/mss2sql.htm
Technology News Australia is an online community that allows its members to chat and share information about technology. The site started as a personal project of a blogger, who wanted to create a hub for tech enthusiasts to discuss their favorite topics. This hasn’t always been an easy task: initially, there was no clear direction for the site’s direction and as a result it has grown into a huge phenomenon. The site is now an authority source of information for people across many different industries. Over time, we’ll be seeing a number of tech news websites migrate from using SQL database management systems to a more flexible platform such as WordPress or Joomla.
As a result of these changes, many blogs and website owners are migrating to use these platforms to leverage their reader base and increase their online presence. By migrating your tech site to one of these platforms, you’ll be able to create an engaging content model, which will likely translate to higher viewership and backlinks. As a result of these changes, here are a few important things to keep in mind when doing so:
The primary reason behind using SQL migration is to allow your site to easily update its content without requiring you to rewrite everything. If you’re looking to update your existing blog posts or stories, then you can use an open source solution such as WordPress to do so. Otherwise, you should consider using an open source solution such as Joomla to update your database. For example, if you have 100 pages of information in your database and you want to add new pages for your blog, then you would simply open up your file in Joomla and copy the code required to add new pages. This ensures that your updates are applied in a way that is consistent with the rest of your site and that it will not result in a large amount of SQL queries.